Sunday, February 3, 2008

Inherent Ettiquette

I had a strange experience with a robot the other day. I called UPS to have them hold a package for me instead of trying to deliver it. Like most large corporations these days, they have an automated voice-recognition system when you call. (Eg., "If you would like to check the location of your package, say, 'Location.'") I obediently spoke my tracking number for the female robot, but I was pleasantly surprised when she didn't repeat it back to me for confirmation.

In fact, during the entire transaction, she understood my words perfectly at every stage, never repeated anything, and was unfailingly polite. She flawlessly guided me through setting up my will-call pick up. The process went so smoothly ("Is there anything else I can help you with?"), and her personality and (dare I say?) etiquette were so well-designed that, when the conversation completed, I actually had to suppress the urge to thank her!

But to the designers and engineers of voice-recognition software, I don't need to suppress it: Thanks!

No comments: