Wednesday, November 11, 2009

What's a Modern Girl to Do?

There's a certain cache behind having your full name as your Gmail address (firstnamelastname@gmail.com). It's evidence that you were an early adopter, and it's just eminently practical when you want to give someone your address. It also has a professional veneer.

Now I'm facing a modern-day conundrum: I'm getting married soon, and I'll have a new name - one that's already taken on Gmail. (I checked all the variations.) I've had my current Gmail address for years, and have signed up for many, many services and subscriptions with this email. Even if my new name was available, would it be worth the hassle to make the switch? Fortunately you can forward mail from one Gmail address to another (Settings > Forwarding and POP/IMAP).

The other option is to retain my current email address and change the name that appears when I send. But this will still be awkward when I provide my email to someone who meets me when I have my new name.

For other reasons - feminist, administrative ease - I've considered not changing my name at all. But the reality is I'm pretty excited about the Google anonymity of my new, very common name. And besides, I like the new name better!

2 comments:

memetic said...

This issue is one of the reasons I decided not to change my name when I got married. Although athenanordhagen@gmail likely remains available, I would lose much that I have established in connection with my existing account.

I wonder if your new name would be available from a less popular but still recognizable domain like @mac.com. You could forward from that domain to Gmail and have the professional appearance of a firstnamelastname email account while retaining the functionality of Gmail.

Although it is difficult to picture at the moment, it is possible that a hot new cloud e-mail service comes along, presenting new early adopter opportunities and displacing Gmail as the e-mail account of choice for techie professionals.

Rachel Luxemburg said...

Another vote for not changing your name when you marry. I kept mine. Much less hassle, and I am no less married.