Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Gchat Status Messages, Part II

This is the second of two-part post on Gchat status messages. In the first, I discussed the major categories of status messages. In this post, I'll address some of the dos-and-don'ts of a proper status message.

1. Recycling. I know this is asking a lot, but I really find it tiresome when someone recycles an old status message. In the case of "class" or "work," yes, that's appropriate. But your friends will thank you for giving them something new. I took the time to read that long quote a week ago; I won't do it again.

2. Fishing. This is a sensitive one. When someone makes a cry for help on his/her status message - "This sucks!" - s/he is asking you to message them. I know we all cave to this impulse from time to time, but if you want to talk about something - chat someone. That's what IM is all about, right?

3. Never changing your status. Feed me! Your status message has read "dingleberry" the entire time we've been chat friends (over two years). I'm ready to move on.

4. Ever changing your status. Some people scroll through messages constantly, sometimes several times in one chat conversation. When you're chatting with someone, they receive the changed status as a line of IM. I find this distracting and confusing. Is our conversation not enough for you? It's like watching someone else channel surf.

Conclusions: Give your friends a good reason to mouse-over your name and read your status. Value their time and net-attention span by giving them something fresh and creative.

If you can't think of something that fits the bill, leave it at Available. As far as status goes, there are worse things to be!

No comments: