Saturday, December 15, 2007

Political Commentary

No doubt you've seen the MySpace page of a friend who has been the victim of comment-chaining by one person. I do my best to interrupt these chains. When one person comments continuously on someone's page, it looks bad. It looks like 1) s/he has no other friends who care, 2) s/he has been very remiss in commenting for other people, or 3) s/he is being stalked.

Proper netiquette requires that, after you make a comment on someone's page, wait for two or three other people to comment before you add another yourself.

Then there's the sensitive issue of comment removal. The most politically correct way to remove a friend's comment from your page is to give him/her apologetic notice, either just before or very soon after you remove it.

This leads me to a final issue: don't leave snarky comments suggesting that your friend is a player. These will probably be removed, apologetically, because "you're blowing up my game."

UPDATE: This blog comment affirms my rule on player comments.

- Sansserif

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great commentary!

Anonymous said...

BTW, I can't stand it when people leave multiple comments. ;-)

Anonymous said...

But only because it makes it look like I don't have any friends...which, of course, isn't true. :-P